About the Sirohi goat, the Sirohi goat is a type of goat with an oval-like head, broad back, and a short body. They are found in the Sirohi district of Rajasthan, India. The local people have maintained their pure breed livestock since the time period of Hinduism.
As of now, it’s still considered one of the most important animals in this region because they’re reared at home and used as sacrificial animals during most Hindu occasions.
What Is The Sirohi Goat?
Sirohi goats are a genetically determined breed of goat, and they are reared only in the Sirohi district of Rajasthan, India.
These goats originated from the Sirohi tribe; as you know, they believe in nature and respect it by practicing their religion. A very important part of their performances is the sacrifice that they make to these animals.
Characteristics Of Sirohi Goat
Just like their ancestors, Sirohi goats feature a lot of characteristics. They have a short body, long neck, and flat face. They always have an oval-like head that is not flat, and this shape gives the goat a unique look that is so attractive among all the other breeds.
Their color features various shades of black in their hair. Their eyes are wide and liquid-like. You can tell the age of a Sirohi goat just by looking at its eyes. The color of the goat’s eyes is gold when it’s still young, and in the course of time, when it grows older, the color changes to black.
However, there are also other colors for this breed. The most common ones are red and brown. But then there is another unique color – grey.
These goats are really cute. They are short in height, but the most amazing thing about them is their wide and thick face. Their short legs and small body shape make people want to touch them a lot, but you need to be careful with these because their hair is a little bit itchy. And their hair will create some problems when you’re sneezing.
The Sirohi goats are also fat, but they are very strong. The Sirohi goats have few hairs on their bodies and don’t have a beard. They can grow up to 450 grams of weight.
They have long curly hair full of different colors; the black color is the most common, but some breeds can be blonde or reddish. The hair on top of their head is usually stood up, giving them a wide and attractive appearance that can’t be compared with other goat breeds.
They are considered to be a very intelligent breed, and they are also very active. They can adapt easily and are not afraid of any change, making them ideal for the farm or house.
The Sirohi goats were first introduced to India by a Gujarati man looking for a breed that would represent him in trade. So, he started the inbreeding process and, after many centuries, found the perfect combination of characteristics that fit his needs.
This breed tends to be healthy and can live up to 13 years. They are mostly kept as a pet, but they are also used in farming [and other things], and as I said before, they are very intelligent.
The Sirohi goats are very open when it comes to mating partners. They can mate with the other goats but prefer the goat of their breed.
The female takes around two years to be sexually active, and most of the mating process happens in the middle of March. The gestation period for a female is about ten months, after which she gives birth to kids.
They have four teats that produce milk, and every kid is allowed to suckle from each teat once per day.
Quick Fact About Goat
|Goat Size||Average 300 – 450g|
|Lactation||Four teats. Two females and two males.|
|Length of hair||23 inches.|
|Color of hiding||Black or brown with black spots. Blonde color is also available and rarer than the other colors.|
|Fur||The hair on their head is mostly standing up, giving them a wide and attractive appearance that can’t be compared with other goat breeds.|
As I said, the Sirohi goats are mainly used as a pet or farm animals. They need to be fed with hay, grains, and vegetables to grow well, and their milk can also be used in cooking.
These animals are especially good for people interested in this breed’s history because they have been present since the period of the ancient Hindu religion.
The Sirohi goats are kept at higher altitudes than other breeds because they want to drink water from higher places like trees’ branches or small rocks.
Amazing 8 Farming Benefits Of Sirohi Goat
1. The Sirohi goats have a short body and long neck, so it is very easy to cross the small fences applied on many farms.
2. The Sirohi goats are very active and prefer working with people to just standing in the field all day. Therefore, they are ideal for small farms and don’t become a problem with other animals.
3. The Sirohi goats are very intelligent and can adapt to most weather conditions. They can even withstand hot summers.
4. They have an excellent sense of smell and can be used as a guide for the farmers who have lost their path on the farm.
5. The Sirohi goats are very beautiful, so people like them a lot, but what’s even better is that people also love them for their milk and meat that is high in protein and low in fat content
6. The gestation period for a Sirohi goat is about ten months, after which she gives birth to kids.
7. The Sirohi goats have long curly hair full of different colors; the black color is the most common, but some breeds can be blonde or reddish. The hair on top of their head is usually stood up, giving them a wide and attractive appearance that can’t be compared with other goat breeds.
8. The Sirohi goats are considered to be a very intelligent breed, and they are also very active. They can adapt easily and are not afraid of any change, making them ideal for the farm or house.
The Sirohi goat is still a very rare breed in India. But every year, more and more people start to keep one of these adorable animals on their own farm.
If you’re looking for a pet or an animal for the farm, then I think the Sirohi goat is perfect. They are funny and intelligent, which makes them the perfect companion for you and your family.