Scandaroon Pigeon is an English breed with a brown body with black flight feathers, white markings on the wings and head, and red eyes. Adults have a plump shape with an average weight of 1.8kg-2.1kg, making them one of the heavier pigeon breeds.
Scandaroon Pigeons have black eyes with a pinkish tinge, and they are best described by the name “black and white” as they have brown plumage on their upper body with black markings.
They can fly at an average speed of 55km/h. They live up to ten years in the wild, while the average lifespan is six years in captivity. Like other pigeons, their life span only decreases if they live long lives in captivity.
Scandaroon Pigeon Characteristics
There are many different characteristics that pigeons possess, and one of them is their eyes.
Scandaroon Pigeons have a dark brown eye with a white ring along their lower eyelid, called the nictitating membrane. The nictitating membrane is made of very thick skin to prevent dust particles from entering the eyes during harsh weather conditions.
Scandaroon Pigeons’ flight feathers have a darker shade of brown, with the outer portions being white. They also have a black tail tip with a white tip on their flight feathers. The arched shape of the wing and their body are also typical for all pigeons, although these are some of the best characteristics for pigeon breeders.
Scandaroon Pigeon Origin
Scandaroon Pigeon is a recent product of the crossbreeding that pigeon breeders have done, and it became so popular in the last few decades. This pigeon was developed from two different breeds.
They were developed from a black variety of common pigeons crossed with an American rock dove. The result becomes the American Rock Dove, and your Scandaroon Pigeon characteristics are derived from it.
The appearance of Scandaroon Pigeon
Adult males are heavier in build than females who have a slender structure. They have brown plumage with black feathers on their body and white markings on their wings, while on their head, they have a black band with white spots.
The males have red eyes while the females have brown eyes. You may also notice that adult male Scandaroon Pigeons tend to be larger than female ones. In addition, male Scandaroon Pigeons are heavier than female ones.
Uses of Scandaroon Pigeon
Scandaroon Pigeons can be used for different purposes. They can be used as game birds, and they are also used to help increase the populations of other species of birds. Another objective is to help children learn how to better train pigeons as they are more suited for children than other breeds.
Since they are good flyers, they are usually kept in the loft, where they get to fly around freely. It is possible to use them as a personal pet.
Scandarun pigeons are herbivores. This means that they can eat various seeds, fruits, and vegetables. They usually eat barley, wheat, rapeseed, and corn. They can also be fed whole grains. The best thing is that people’s foods can be added to their diet to provide an extra boost to their nutritional intake.
Farming Benefit of Scandarun pigeons
1. Scandaroon Pigeons can be used in a variety of ways. One of them is to help boost the population of other species. This means that they aren’t only valid as a game bird and as a farmer’s helper.
2. They are also used to help increase the pigeon populations in many places where there are problems with food supply and population increase.
3. They are a lot easier to handle than other pigeon breeds. This means that they are more challenging and need less food to survive.
4. Scandaroon Pigeons can help people who want to raise them as pets because they don’t need that much space, and they are amiable creatures in general.
5. They are also magnificent flying birds, making them more suitable for the trainers of the sport of pigeon racing.
6. They are also popular as hunting targets because they fly high and straight.
7. Their leading food is grain, and this means that it is easy for them to be produced in large numbers as they need less space.
8. They also have an excellent source of protein, which means that they are healthier than other breeds of pigeons.
The Bottom line
In conclusion, if you are looking for a type of pigeon that is more suitable for home use, training, and other needed purposes, then Scandaroon Pigeons are the best o fit the description.
These birds are known for their hardiness and friendliness, making them a good choice for a personal pet. They can also be used to help in training other breeds of pigeons for races and other competitions.
This type of pigeon has many uses, especially if you are looking for various benefits from your bird pets.