Saury Fish is a kind of fish found in the Western Pacific and Southeast Asia.
They are commonly eaten in Japan as sushi and are known to be a delicacy in many regions worldwide.
Saury fish can grow up to sixteen inches long and weigh over two pounds!
The saury is considered a type of eel because they swim among seaweed at the bottom of ocean floors.
Saury fish can be identified by their unique coloration. They have a dark brown back with a lighter underside.
This coloration helps camouflage them with their surroundings, helping them to avoid predators in the deep sea.
Saury Fish Characteristics
• Diet – They eat small fish and crustaceans.
• Range – The saury can be found in most oceans worldwide, such as the Atlantic Ocean, Mediterranean Sea, and the Indo-Pacific.
• Lifespan – Sizes vary. Minimum size – 20 centimeters Maximum height – 1.8 meters
• Behavior – These Fish are usually solitary except during mating season. They swim slowly along the ocean floor in a large school with their eyes open to spot a lurking predator or prey.
Diet of Saury Fish
The diet of saury fish consists of small fish, crustaceans, and squid, which they attract by their swimming pattern and mimic the movements of, along with the proper light reflection.
Breeding Saury Fish
Saury fish don’t need any hook to mate. After a gestation of about seventy days, the female lays eggs in a body of water that is around fifteen hundred meters deep.
The saury eggs hatch after about six months, and the young will stay in the deep sea for approximately twenty years before returning to shallow waters.
Use of Saury Fish
Saury Fish are usually associated with fresh water, but they exist in saltwater. They have high-fat content, which makes them useful as bait.
They are a favorite among many top chefs because they are economical and easy to find. Saury fish is considered a delicacy in many regions, making the price vary depending on location.
Excellent 10 Information For Saury Fish
Here are Amazing 10 Information For Saury Fish
1. Saury, which is pronounced [ sai-yoo] for short, is a type of fish that has been popular in Japan since ancient times.
2. It was believed that Saury Fish were the souls of dead samurai warriors and were eaten by the samurai after their death. This story came from anglers who washed up to shore in their nets with skeletons inside.
3. Today, however, saury are only eaten by people who can afford them and are prepared by notable chefs in many different ways.
4. Most sauries are sold in markets and eaten fresh, but many are also used in sushi bars.
5. You can watch them swimming around in their tank at sushi bars if you look hard enough. Usually, they look like tiny black dots moving around on the bottom of the tank. It’s mesmerizing to watch them swim for a long time!
6. Another fact about saury is that they are a kind of eel because they swim among seaweed at the bottom of ocean floors.
7. The first saury was discovered in the Pacific Ocean by a Japanese fisherman named Dohachi Kimura in 1817.
8. The discovery of saury was quite an accident. When fish were being examined for the market, an extraordinary fish with crispy skin was found among the slabs of fish flesh.
9. At first, the saury meat tasted somewhat bland, but it was discovered that its flavor improved if it was marinated and steamed for six hours before grilling or frying it.
10. Saury is a viral fish in Japan, and many people who can’t afford to buy fresh saury eat it instead.
Special Notes of Saury Fish
Saury is an excellent bait when fishing for salmon, tuna, and other kinds of fish. The saury fishing season begins in March and continues until the end of April.
If you catch saury in Japan during this period, you can have it prepared in your family’s way. Please ask your server if saury is available when you dine there!
Review the whole breed profile of the Pacific Saury fish in the table below.
|Binomial Name||Cololabis Saira|
|Other Names Mackerel Pike, and also known by many other different names in different parts of the world Breed Purpose Mainly food, but also used for making fishmeal and used as pet food Special Notes Economically essential fish species where it is found, one of the most prominent seasonal foods representing autumn in Japanese cuisine, used for making the fish meal and used as pet food in some western countries, 4-6 years lifespan Weight About 180 gramsBreeding Method Natural Climate Tolerance Native climates Body Color Silver with dark green or blue on the dorsal side Availability Asia|
Saury fish can be identified by their unique coloration. They have a dark brown back with a lighter underside. This coloration helps camouflage them with their surroundings, helping them to avoid predators in the deep sea.
Saury Fish are sometimes known as “eel fish.” They are a type of eel because they swim among seaweed at the bottom of ocean floors, but they look like small fish.