About Poultry Nest Box, Poultry nest box is a piece of equipment required by the poultry owners who raise their chickens to lay eggs, usually found on chicken coops or backyard chicken farms. A poultry nest box, also known as a nesting box or egg-laying cage, is typically used for breeding purposes and to ensure that commercial poultry farmers’ birds have a good place to lay their eggs.
A nesting box provides a private, safe, clean place for chickens to lay their eggs. It keeps the egg from being contaminated by spreading bacteria and germs to neighboring feathers on the hen’s belly. This can keep eggs from being contaminated, and contaminated eggs are not suitable for human consumption.
How To Make A Poultry Nest Box?
The Materials Needed To Make A Nesting Box Are:
- A square or rectangular box
- A piece of plastic (a clear plastic) that is smoothed, screen, or any other smooth material that is as near to the approximate size as possible.
- Long pieces of chain: four poles long and one short pole to hold them together.
- Paint and brush
- Screws and nails
- Sandpaper to smoothen the rough of the holes upon completing your nesting box.
- Two pieces of wood – One long and one short (not a longer piece than the rectangular box). The wood should be approximately the same length on all sides except for the sides, which are longer than all other sides. Drill a hole at each corner of the box and secure it with screws. Make sure the holes are not too big, or you will lose the box’s corners. This is important because you want your nesting box to have a very tight fit. The holes should be screwed from the inside of the box so that they cannot be seen on the outside, or they will make it difficult to close the box.
The Best 10 Steps In Making A Nesting Box
The Steps In Making A Nesting Box Are As Follows:
1. Make sure your square or rectangular box is no longer than 24 inches because it may be too big. It is preferable to use a minimum of 18 inches.
2. Cut out the bottom part and the two long sides of your box using your box cutter or a jigsaw and sand the edges for smoothness. Make sure you do not make holes in any of those sides or parts of your nesting box.
3. Measure 4 poles 3 inches from one end to the other and 7 inches from side to side (from one corner to another corner). The ends of your poles should be round, or if you cannot find the rounded ends, you can use the clasp from a fastener and hammer it to form a curve at the end of your poles. Drill one hole at each end of your long poles and ensure that they are drilled so that the pole can be attached to your box tightly. You can also screw these holes for better hold.
4. Make a short pole that will be attached to one of the sides of your box by screwing it on securely or drilling a hole and hammering a pin into it. It is preferable to drill a hole than hammering a pin because it may cause scratches on your box.
5. This is where you would want to use the chain attached to your poles. Place one pole inside your box and fasten it by screwing through. For example, if you have a long pole and one side is shorter, place the longer side inside the box’s side. If you have two poles, place one at an angle between them. Fasten it with a screw and attach it to your short pole sticking out from your box’s side.
6. Once your pole is fastened well on both sides, you will be left with many excess chains on the sides of your box. Now place the remaining chain with one end fastened to the top of the inside of your box and the other end attached to one corner. Fasten this chain by screwing it firmly or hammering it against the side of your box.
7. Now attach four poles in a square or rectangle about 1 inch between each pole’s ends and place one at each corner. Make sure that the pole is hammered on securely and not too short. Drill holes at the corners of your box.
8. Attach the longest pieces of chain to the middle of your box using screws that can be seen on the outside of your box. Fasten in another corner and attach at one end with a screw through a hole in your box’s side. Make sure that you do not make a hole too big.
9. The last step is to make the door in your nesting box. Your door size should be at least 2 inches and not bigger than 3 inches wide. It can also be smaller in length, but it is preferable to have a door that is no longer than 8 inches long. It should be constructed from sturdy plastic material. Make sure that the door opens to let in the fresh air and the smell. Attach it to the outside of your box on one side with screws, or you can use a hinge so that you can open its door easily.
10. This is where you would want to attach your chain for one more time. If your door is small, you will only need two pieces of chain, but if your door is large, you will need four chains. Attach the chain to your short pole at the top of your box and attach it to the door with a screw so that it cannot be opened from the inside.
Are Nesting Boxes Necessary For Chickens?
Nesting boxes are necessary for a healthy and safe life for all chickens. However, as long as you keep your chickens in an environment that is safe and conducive to a productive life, your birds will be fine without a nesting box.
If you do not have ample space in your house or yard, you may want to put up nesting boxes for your chickens. The use of nesting boxes helps keep eggs from being contaminated by bacteria spread from other birds on the hen’s belly.
How Big Should A Poultry Nest Box Be?
Nesting box size depends on the species of chicken and egg you want to keep. Chicks that hatch in naturally moist environments like damp soil will need a larger nest box than those that hatch in dry places. It is preferable to have a large nest box for seven to 12 eggs.
The dimensions of the nesting box should be around 8 by 10 inches; however, it can be smaller or bigger depending on your needs. You will need a bigger nesting box if your hen lays more than 12 eggs.
Poultry Nest Box, Nesting boxes should be made of something non-toxic, like metal or plastic. Wood, cardboard, and Styrofoam are common nesting materials that could make your chicken sick because they could breed bacteria in the chicken’s eggs.
Poultry Nest Box is a great way of providing your chickens with a safe and healthy environment while nesting. However, they should be made of stainless steel, plastic, or metal and not placed where your chickens eat, sleep or poop.
If you do not have an available space to keep your Poultry Nest Box safe and productive in the hen house, then you may want to put up nest boxes for them. If you like our post, comment on your valuable comments in the box given below. We will be glad to hear from you. Thank you for reading this Poultry Nest Box.